Today most of the spectacle wearer depends too much on their glasses that they feel helpless without them and reach for them the first thing in the morning. It is well known that concentrated viewing strains the eye muscle and the lens. This may force the person’s eyes to work hard without realizing it. Glasses make it unnecessary for the eyes to work on their own. Since the glasses substitutes their power of the natural eye power, visual abilities diminish through disuse1)Dr. D. R. Gala. “DECREASE THE DEPENDENCE OF GLASSES- Dr. Gala’s Vision Training Programme: p.100 – 105.
A 12 years old myopes come for a routine examination, previously he can read 6/9 in the chart without glasses can later only 6/12. The reason behind this decrease in the VA is ‘prolonged use of glasses’ strains the eye muscle constantly thus reducing the eye muscle flexibility. In short, the trend to recommend the glasses for constant use is not correct.
Do’s and Don’ts while not wearing spectacles:
- Keep your eyes relax always. Don’t strain your eyes or squint them to see clearer.
- Close your eyes often, This makes your eyes relax.
- View the entire scene. Do not always concentrate on individual objects or details.
- Myopes can remove their spectacles when they don’t need to see at distance, e.g., while reading, writing or conversing. On the contrary, hyperopes and presbyopes require glasses especially when they are doing near work. At other times, they can take off them.
- Don’t listen to your friends comments that not look good without spectacles.
Schedule for ‘Time without glasses’:
Depending on how strong your spectacle-prescription, you can schedule a time for it to go.
- Up to + or – 2.00 D – the more time spent without spectacles, the better.
- From + or – 2.00 to 6.00 D – go without spectacles for one to a minimum of three hours.
- Above + or – 6 D – go without spectacles for 30 to 90 minutes a day.
As your gain in experiencing and get accustomed, gradually increase the time without spectacles. In short time without spectacles is the simplest yet one of the most important and effective visual training procedures. Just remember to keep your eyes relaxed always. Never strain them. If headaches and eye fatigue occur when not using prescribed-spectacles, you’re trying to overcome the blur instead of accepting it i.e. the brain learning to interpret the blurred images correctly.
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Dr. D. R. Gala. “DECREASE THE DEPENDENCE OF GLASSES- Dr. Gala’s Vision Training Programme: p.100 – 105|